Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy 1st Birthday!



The day after we brought Marcus home was his 1st birthday. I'd gotten him a nice birthday treat - a 24 inch bully stick. He _loved_ it. But he didn't quite no what to do with it. Being raised around a bunch of other dogs, he kept hiding it in his crate for safe keeping. I, in my lack of doggy related wisdom, decided to keep bringing it back out to the living room. I was off work, but Aaron had to go in, so he got to get used to only having one of us around.

Marcus initially seemed to hate our bed, and it's a decent height off the ground, so when Aaron was in the shower, he didn't bother crating Marcus even though I was still sleeping. Marcus determined that he wasn't going to just sit there and let me sleep when I could be petting him, so he learned how to get up on the bed. I just couldn't resist his cuteness, so I caved and got up to spend time with him (as well as give him his present!).

We also began to work on sit, which he does reasonably well so long as he isn't too excited when I ask him to do it. I managed to take the above photo during one such "sit" practice. I also started making sure to keep an eye on how much he eats versus how much he exercises, and he got less food for dinner since he got so much protein from the bully stick. I'm wondering how long I'll be able to keep up his regiment of 6+ walks per day though...

We did have some issue with another dog on one of our walks though. A Pit Bull wanted to try and run and eat him, and his inattentive owner nearly let him get away from him. But instead of doing anything smart, he decided the best bet was to kick the crap out of his dog(!?!) while complaining on his cell phone about how "shitty" his dog was. Marcus won't be getting anywhere near that dog anytime soon.

Marcus also got to meet the shower for the first time. I was in the shower and he was whining, so I poked my head out to show him that I was still there, and the loud thing hadn't hurt me. He came over and poked his head through the curtain, and was about to jump in when he realized that there was water falling from the sky! Needless to say, he didn't try _that_ twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment