Saturday, June 18, 2011

Starting Out


I'm writing this blog not so much for the entertainment of others as I am to keep my friends and family informed, and (moreso) to ensure that I don't forget anything that happens with Marcus.

I've wanted a Welsh Corgi for ages now. I first encountered them as a teenager when Cowboy Bebop was popular. I remember how thrilled I was when I came across an Ein stuffed animal at Suncoast one day. From then on, I was hooked. My random obsession with the British Royal family only made Corgi fever worse. But first I was living with my parents, then in an apartment in Minneapolis, then back with my parents... it was never plausible.

Aaron and I both love dogs. All of our primary group of friends have dogs. But we couldn't agree on a breed. After many, many weeks of talking, comparing pros and cons, and discussing, I got him to admit that Corgis were in fact cute. But the company that represents our landlord didn't think our landlord would go for it, so it got sidelined.

A month or two passed, we began working opposite shifts, and I began getting really demanding of his time. I needed someone/thing to keep me company. All my friends are around 2 hours away, and my only real opportunity to meet friends is at work, which is sometimes less than awesome. While doing my daily ogling of Corgi related links, I stumbled across this blog. It details a story very similar to mine, as I have frequently struggled with depression. After sending it to Aaron, he agreed that if I did the same research as Rachael did, that he would talk to the Landlord. So I did, and he did, and we got word back that we could add one dog to our family.

Then began the search for a corgi. Rescues don't like giving Corgis to owners unfamiliar with the breed, so we tried to find a puppy. I'd found a great breeder, who had a pregnant dog and would be having puppies any day. I was so excited. In the midst of waiting for these puppies though, I saw a post on her website. She had a 1 year old Corgi boy who she's intended to show, but who had grown beyond the breed standard proportions. So we talked over the email about him, and we spoke over the phone, and the more I learned, the more I wanted to meet this little guy. And then she sent me a picture, and I knew that there was no way in the world I could say no to that cute little face.

No comments:

Post a Comment